Kipawa.net
The Kipawa Discussion Board

AlbumPhotos  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister  kipawa.comKipawa.com WeatherWeather OutfittersOutfittersOutfittersRules ProfileProfile
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pike

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Information Repository
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaqEditor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Pike Reply with quote

Pike

Spring/Summer

From Ian

Marco,
My group uses the Williams Whitefish and Williams Wabler. We used these spoons on the smaller back lakes and done well. I started using the same approach on the main lake and where it might not produce the number of pike as it does on the smaller lakes, I still have had some success. I learned the technique from a friend of Rod Miller's who took me into one of the small lakes nearby.
First locate a good area. Reeds in a shallow or sandy shelf with access to deep water, a beaver house or dam, or a rocky structure that looks like it might have a good ambush spot for pike. (My 10 year old nephew pointed out the last one to me) I am looking for a place where a lot of baitfish would hide out such as the reeds or a beaver house. When you find a good spot, start on one side or the other of the target area and start casting a sweeping pattern in front of the area. When you cast these Williams spoons although they are lighter the still sink at the same speed. So as soon as they spoons hit the water start your retrieval to avoid getting snagged. The retrieval I use is simple lift your tip up quickly to bring the spoon up near the surface of the water. Drop your tip and reel in the slack, then repeat. The action is great, you get the quick slice of the lure up, then the flutter of the lure settling back down. Choose a spoon that has a shiny finish and you get a flashes as the lure flutters down. We usually buy plain silver or gold spoons and dress them up with the different reflective tape.

Last year I took my wife Andria out during the day to cast structure. First cast on a beaver house with a spoon. The lure hit the water and I let it fluttered a couple of times before I lifted the tip and wham. A big hit! Wham! I thought I had a nice pike, turned out to be a 6 pound walleye.

I love to cast structure on the lake during the day. It doesn't produce like fishing during the morning and evening bites, but it has produce big fish.

You can get these lures at Canadian Tire in Northbay.

~ Ian
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Information Repository All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: