Kipawa.net
The Kipawa Discussion Board

AlbumPhotos  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister  kipawa.comKipawa.com WeatherWeather OutfittersOutfittersOutfittersRules ProfileProfile
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20-29 Jun Lake Hebert Trip Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Thomas
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: 20-29 Jun Lake Hebert Trip Report Reply with quote

Ron (Connecticut), Eric (West Virginia) and Kevin (New York) arrived at my house in Ottawa 11 AM Thurs 19 Jun for the trek north to Clova, Quebec to catch our flight with Air Tamarac to Lac Hebert at 1030 on Fri 20 Jun. We stopped in Mont Laurier for a great lunch at the St-Hubert. The gravel road from Mont-Saint-Michel to Parent (110 miles) was in fantastic shape (was being graded) and we averaged 50-55 mph (driving time was a little more than 2 hours). The next 55 miles of gravel road from Parent to Clova was in equally great shape and took just over an hour to drive. We enjoyed dinner at the Clova restaurant before retiring to our rooms at the Auberge Clova (old converted school house).

After breakfast on Fri morning, we weighed our gear and groceries. We were just slightly over the 110 pound limit per person (425 pounds over to be exact). Our overage cost was $320 (too much beer was not the only culprit). I learned that it isnít easy to make flight weight restrictions. Consequently, the four of us and part of our gear were flown to Lac Hebert on a Beaver at 1030 (very bumpy flight) while the rest of our gear came later in the day on a Cessna.

A board walk facilitated moving our gear and groceries from the dock to the cabin. The cabin was outstanding having been built only 3 years ago. Pergo laminated flooring with two bedrooms (could sleep 6), ample kitchen and eating area and bathroom (with sink and shower with on-demand hot water). Propane refrigerator with freezer, small propane chest freezer and propane stove and lights. Lots of big windows facilitated air flow throughout the cabin.

Lac Hebert is approximately 230 miles north east of the north eastern arm of Lake Kipawa. It is 12 miles long and more than a mile wide in many spots. There are 3 deep water basins, the deepest of which is 73 feet. There are lots of walleye/pike structures and plenty of rocks Ė many of which were just below the surface. My only negative comment is that many of these shallow rock areas had not yet been marked with buoys this year. Fortunately, our two veterans provided marked up maps to help navigate the lake safely. The equipment was great with 16 foot wide body Lunds powered with 20 HP four stroke Mercs (new every year). Each boat included a Danforth anchor, sufficient anchor rope, oars and 6 vertical rod holders. Lac Hebert has no lake trout.

The cold winter (4 feet of ice) followed by a slow spring warm up had retarded normal lake activity by 3 weeks. According to the two 10 year + veterans of the lake along on our trip, we never experienced a strong bite during our trip. Regardless, the four of us boated over 700 walleyes in our 9 days on the lake as well as 60 + pike. Biggest walleyes of our trip were a 28 incher and a 27 incher while the biggest pike boated was a 38 incher. Most walleyes caught were between 14 and 18 inches in length.

Primary fishing methodology used was jigging with crawlers (leeches didnít seem to work as well). Had to revert to 3/8 ounce and 1/2 ounce jigs to contend with wind and wave action much of the time (Nuckle Ball Zone R jigs were the ticket). 23 to 25 feet of water was a common productive depth. However, I also learned a new fishing methodology during this trip from my new fishing partners, for both walleye and pike Ė that being 5 and 6 inch swim baits (paddletails). I was just amazed by the walleye hitting these swim baits whether we cast or trolled them.

For our return journey down the Clova Road, unfortunately, the gravel road had deteriorated (lots of wash boards). We only averaged about 40 mph on the way out. We arrived at my house about 4 PM on Sunday 29 Jun (having been up since 5 AM to prepare for a 730 AM flight (very smooth) back to Clova).

I can easily recommend Lac Hebert as a great walleye fishing destination. Air Tamarac runs a top notch service. Accommodations and equipment were great. I was amazed at how fast 9 days went by. Hereís a few pictures.

Our cabin (#26)

Cabin # 25 (1/4 mile away)

Kevin with a 38 inch pike

Eric with 24 inch walleye

45 days until I head for Club Trout Lake with my 3 regular fishing partners.

Jay
JOHNNY WALLEYE
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love your post jay
Oarin
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jay, it looks like a really nice place! Is the road to Clova a new one or has the old one (the road from Hell 20 years ago) been upgraded? Can you tell more about the paddletails, I've never heard of them. We hope to see you and your crew at the Auberge in August. Oarin.
CaptainCrappie
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, great report, Jay. Over 700 walleyes is incredible! I've always dreamed of a fly-in trip but it's out of consideration now. Were those swim baits fished with weighted hooks? Any color seem better than others? You're right about how time flies on fishing trips. It's a blur. That melancholy trip over feeling for me lasts longer every year. Thanks for posting.

C.C.
Jay Thomas
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oarin and CaptainCrappie:

It's my understanding that the old Clova road was upgraded to accommodate increased logging truck traffic.

I used 3/8 ounce swim bait jigs with 5 inch Berkley Powerbait ripple shads. Colours I used with success were smelt and holographic gold black back. I had more success with walleye after I attached a treble hook stinger hook over the swim bait jig hook after I had placed the swim bait on the swim bait jig. I simply buried one of the treble hooks into the back of the swim bait. Before I did that, that walleye were hitting the paddle tail but not getting the swim bait jig hook. Here's a couple of web references:
http://www.ontariofishing.net/news2008/oct2008-2.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-1pP-LfaE

Looking forward to seeing you (Oarin) and Captain Guy at the Auberge 22 Aug.

Jay
Oarin
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay.
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty ty! Nice report!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: