Kipawa.net
The Kipawa Discussion Board

AlbumPhotos  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister  kipawa.comKipawa.com WeatherWeather OutfittersOutfittersOutfittersRules ProfileProfile
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Report Two Moon Lodge June 21-28

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PETERBFLY
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Trip Report Two Moon Lodge June 21-28 Reply with quote

Had another Stellar fishing trip this year on good old Lake Kipawa this year.. Cant say enough about staying at Two Moon Lodge. We absolutely love it there. I will be their customer until the day I die. We drive around 15 hours one way to get there from Long Island, NY and somebody asked me if I thought it was worth the long trip? My answer was, "WORTH EVERY SECOND".
On to the meat and potatoes. We caught approximately 325 total fish for the week for four guys. Around 200 Walleye (biggest being 19 inches), just over 100 Smallmouth Bass (biggest being 19-20 inches I think), 20 Lakers (Biggest being 25.5 inches) 1 Pike (34 inches) and 2 little perch. I absolutely love the variety of fish in the lake and different ways to catch them. I tried slip bobbering for the first time and am mixed on how I like it. It is fun when the fish are bitting a lot, but otherwise it can get boring really fast. I guess the fun part about it is that you catch a lot of Bass while you wait for the Walleye to start feeding. I still prefer jigging, but some spots are snag city and slip bobbers are the only way to do it. We also had a run in with the local Department of Wildlife Conservation who wanted to do a quick survey on Laker and Walleye fishing. The guy had mentioned they were looking to start doing a slot limit on the Walleye in the next few years. Not sure how I feel about that either. Of course I would love to protect the stock so it is always abundant, but I would have a very hard time throwing back a 28-30 inch fish considering I have never caught one. I know they are the Breeders, but I just want to take one home in my lifetime. I guess I should look at the bigger picture instead of just what I want.. He said the slot limit would be that you can keep fish in the 14-22 inch range, but the rest would have to be released. I might be off an inch or two, but that is just about what it would be. I don't remember what he said for the Lakers, but we never keep any of them, so that really didn't matter to me.
Thats about it for my 2014 adventures. We are looking to start doing two trips a year in the next few years, so hopefully I will be back on this forum in September in the near future.
Hope everyone had a good week and good luck to everyone getting ready to start their trip.
Pete
Oarin
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I hope they're still biting when we get there. 18 more days for me to head to TBL Outpost. Check out www.kipawafishingforum.com and maybe post there too. Thanks,Oarin.
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to two moon for the first time at the end of aug...look forward to it!
Jay Thomas
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hazard a guess that if the Quebec authorities institute a viable slot limit to protect the best walleye breeding stock, all walleye 17 to 22 inches or 18 to 23 inches will have to go back in the lake. While older female walleye 28 to 30 inches) can still produce eggs (approximately 1/3 of their former peak production), those eggs are not as easily fertilized. However, sometimes it is necessary to protect that gene pool too.

Jay
fry-king
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: two moon lodge Reply with quote

Yes 2 Moon Lodge is in a great location on loon Bay; Dave and Julie and family are wonderful hosts. A variety of species can be caught very close to the cabins which I like; as you switch depths in the same locations as the day gets brighter and different fish can be caught. I can`t make it up this year but suggested to some friends who will be at 2 moons end of august ,into sept.. To those about to go this year; enjoy 2 Moon hospitality and the great fishing and scenery in Loon Bay ..
Orangeville Ont
morrow21
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipissing in Ontario had a slot like Jay talked about, keep a couple below 18, none between 18-23, and one over 23. Until this year, just got back, two over 18.1 is now the limit. Walleye population is in serious decline, many factors that all contribute (cormorants, gill netting, to name a couple), but they are implementing this minimum for two years and re-evaluating. At least that is what OPP told us during a safety stop. He also told us the study tells them only 3% of the walleye are over 18" in Nipissing. Won't be going back for a couple years. Had to throw all the walleye we caught back and our fish dinner was pike and bass. In our last 5-7 years of fall fishing at Alwaki Lodge, the fishing has always been fantastic. Usually putting 300-450 walleye in the boat with three of us jigging in a week. Keep a few to eat in the 16" range and put the rest back. Our limited one week a year hasn't shown a big decline. Has anyone else seen or heard of a decline in Kipawa's population?
Jay Thomas
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi morrow21:

In 2005, I looked at Fall Walleye Index Netting (FWIN) data for 1999 (last report available on Kipawa FWIN at the time). From that report I gleaned the following:

The annual exploitation rate was 65% of all walleyes 3 years old or older.
Less than 20 % of all walleyes that attained the age of 3 years ever attained the age of 5 years
Female walleyes reached sexual maturity close to 6 years of age (average length of a 5 year old female walleye was 16.5 inches while it was 18.3 for a 6 year old)
Only 6 % of the walleye population was sexually mature

After perusing that report, I had concerns for the sustainability of the Kipawa walleye fishery. I sent the information to two fish biologists, one in Wisconsin and one in Minnesota. I asked both for their thoughts on the sustainability of the fishery. Both responded that the walleye fishery was not sustainable if the data were indeed accurate. I then made a request to the Quebec fish biologist responsible for managing the walleye fishery to implement a protective slot limit (17" to 22") to protect breeding stock for 5 years.

No protective slot was ever implemented (for various reasons). Even so, the Kipawa walleye fishery continued to plod along. To my knowledge, FWIN studies are no longer published for public consumption.

More recently, last Sep our group fished Kipawa hard for walleye as we had done on 14 previous trips. Regardless our methodology or location, we could not catch walleye over 16" in length. Other fishermen we talked with experienced the same results. However, we caught great quantities of walleye 10" to 12". Rightly or wrongly, I concluded that the spawn was poor in 2008 and 2009 but was great in 2010. I decided not to fish Kipawa again until 2015 or 2016.

However, contrary to my beliefs, this spring, both fishermen and outfitters reported fantastic walleye fishing around opening week. Lots of 4 to 6 pound fish were caught.

My conclusion is that the Kipawa walleye fishery has a lot more strength than I expected. I'm happy that fishermen continue to have excellent fishing trips on Lake Kipawa.

Jay
morrow21
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our experience is similar. We always go the first week in Sept. We have a daily competition, size and quantity. Always high volumes of 12-14". Usually the large fish of the day is 17-18" average with the biggest of the week about 22-24".
From my limited experience comparing to Nipissing over the last 10-12 years, we would typically catch bigger fish in Nipissing, but no where near the volumes. I always thoroughly enjoy my Kipawa experience for many reasons including the fishing, but two trips a year north is the only walleye fishing I do coming from South Carolina so I can't compare the fishing and sizes as others in our group that regularly fish Erie and other places. They can and do get frustrated with the "peanuts" we catch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: