Kipawa.net
The Kipawa Discussion Board

AlbumPhotos  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister  kipawa.comKipawa.com WeatherWeather OutfittersOutfittersOutfittersRules ProfileProfile
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

25 mostly nonfishermen to Two Moon report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: 25 mostly nonfishermen to Two Moon report Reply with quote

We opted for Two Moon lodge for a family and friend gathering. We could have the lodge to ourselves if we had 12 adults and previously we had rented cottages together when our children were young. Getting a money commitment well before the actual date is not an easy thing. Originally we were looking at 9ish adults plus grandma and grandpa and were hoping for others to possibly commit to lower the overall price. When the time came our two original families had all of their kids commit plus 4 boyfriends. Then we had my brother and his family commit along with one of my best friends and his family. Out of that 25 there were four people who ever seriously fished and three were my wife, daughter, and I. What would the others who had never been to a fishing camp think of this experience?

Expectations were high, based on the 2 Moon website, it looked like there was plenty to do including yoga for the women with great accommodations. The activities came as advertized but Quebec does a poor job rating the cabins with 2 Moon having mostly 4 Star accommodation. Later that week we looked at another camp and they had the same inflated ratings. It is a remote fishing camp but in no way would the accommodations measure up to even a Cuban three or four star rating. Initially there was a bit of let down especially for those who had never been to a fishing camp. One pitfall, especially obvious when the cabins are full, is that the two largest cabins of 7 and 8 don't have walls that go all the way to the ceiling in the rooms or bathroom. That is intimate living!

But what 2 moon has going for it in spades is the setting and the "kids" quickly banded together into large groups and took advantage of the surroundings.

...so did those who liked to fish and canoe. They had some cedar strip canoes available.

...I'm a rare breed in that given the choice between walleye and laker fishing, I'll always laker fish, zero time was spent targeting walleye although we a caught a few in the eater size down around 30 ft.

I've fished 3 entirely different sections of this 25 mile long lake and laker fishing was the best I had ever seen it on Kipawa. It could be the cold summer. Being one of only two people experienced enough to go solo fishing I had a lot of different people on my boat.

...and it was a welcomed change to fish with new people.

Unusually, we kept 3 Lakers from my boat. Usually it is only one for me for a fish dinner. Our host generously offered to smoke our fish so we took him up on that offer.

It was great to see two of my best friends and their families. I hadn't seen some of the kids in several years

My daughter Sara's boyfriend took his two dogs out for a mountain bike ride down the trails into the wilderness. Unfortunately he went down a little used hunter's trail and soon got disoriented and totally lost. He did use the sun to find his way 2 bays down on shore. He was visible about 2 km down the lake, but not at that time of day because the sun was behind him. Dave the owner went out to find him and did a thorough search for him with the ATV for two straight hours. We could hear the odd spoken words in the distance but wondered if that wasn't fishermen. My daughter Tess and I hung out on the shore trying to get a response but we never heard a response to our calls, and that was probably because of the wind. Then one time I distinctly heard, "Tess". Only he would know her name so we raced out onto the lake in the setting sun with spotters and flashlights, and found him! Ironically what he had really yelled was, "Sara, look west". He had dragged that bike through the bush! All were well including the dogs.

In the end the outdoors and nature lovers generally enjoyed the trip. The ones not used to remote living, well they may not be back next year. Kipawa, ideally is a place best enjoyed when one is on the water. For canoeists and fishermen the place is ideal.

Many new bonds were formed and we will most likely be back on Kipawa next year. We won't be back with 25 but ideally 2 Moon would be best enjoyed with about 16 people.
RHYBAK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Scuro.
Do you mind mentioning the other camp you visited?
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we were at Alwalki and this year we popped into 3 seasons to see what they offer. Fishing camp wise, 3 seasons is decent enough..the owner runs a tight ship, but for those who have never gone to a fishing camp none of the accommodations should be rated 4 star. That is the pitfall of the Quebec accommodations rating system. It is not the fault of the owners but of the agency which in our case built up expectations with these 3 and 4 star ratings.

In the end probably all the lodges on Kipawa are all fishing camps and none of them should have a 4 star rating for any of their accommodations. I did take a look at Taggish bay lodge several years ago, and around 10 years ago we visited another camp beyond Alwalki in the next lake. There are trade-offs with each location, but generally if it is off the grid the accommodations will suffer a bit and if you have a drive up place the accommodations will often be better but then the fishing will not be that good and the whole wilderness experience is diminished somewhat.

There is a market opportunity for one of the "remote" lodges out there because we had two of the five families who could afford a good chunk more for a lot nicer accommodation. Then again we were an unusual group of mainly nonfishermen and had 2 Drs in our group. The question is if there is enough demand throughout the year to make it worth it for the owner to refurbish one cabin?
RHYBAK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dissing you in any way but maybe our society is just a bit spoiled now a days.
Forgetting what it is like to rough it a bit.
I'm sure there are outfitters in Quebec with a 2 or 3 rating that don't offer running water. Don't offer screened in porches to keep the bugs out.
Cracks in the walls that you can see through ,etc.

Anybody going into the wilderness shouldn't have expectations of luxury unless your going into Muskoka or Banff or the B.C. coast salmon fishing.

You were going into almost remote wilderness Quebec.
The ratings are for the general area availability.
I personally think those accommodations are great for a weeks vacation of fishing and vegging.

Now? Did your friends go home happy or complaining about the week and the accommodations?
Pike Mike
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Scuro I mean no disrespect with my response ..... I have had a great deal of experience travelling different parts of the world .This has included everything from back country wilderness fishing lodges to palatial beachfront resorts and all things inbetween .Having this experience I have found the star rating indicator varies drastically depending on the area of the world that you are venturing to and the genre of resort itself . A 5 Star rating in some of the newer less travelled locations of the world would be about a 2 or 3 in the more popular well travelled destinations . A fishing lodge may be palatial but in most cases it is quaint and rustic at best . It seems from your report some of your guests may have expected a small time Quebec fishing lodge to match up with the Barcelo Maya Colonial for example .Too bad that misconception existed .Hope all your guests found some of the peace and beauty that we all,on this site ,have come to love!
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my share of remote fishing trips, say 15 in total so there was no real surprise for me. As for the others, three cabins loved the experience and two cabins probably won't be back. That is okay because 25 is too many for 2 Moon lodge.

I'm still of the opinion that the Quebec star rating is out of whack. Use something else besides stars because those stars mean something in the rest of the world. Qualifiers just won't cut it because who reads government boilerplate? The stars are a visual symbol of a standard which should instantly convey visual information.

You are right Mike, that is a standard not followed everywhere...and Rhybak, I agree with you and have gone to Kipawa about a dozen times for the exact reasons you state, but in my opinion this is something the Quebec government should fix.
Penner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: star rating Reply with quote

Stupid me!! Probably been up to Kipawa 30 times in the last 22 years and I didn't notice any star ratings. If thats the case I am giving my last cabin an extra star for having styrofoam on the outhouse seat!
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is how they got the four star rating. Now if they want a five star rating doors on all rooms will be mandatory!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: