Kipawa.net
The Kipawa Discussion Board

AlbumPhotos  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister  kipawa.comKipawa.com WeatherWeather OutfittersOutfittersOutfittersRules ProfileProfile
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forage in Kipawa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbayboy
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Forage in Kipawa Reply with quote

Hello again everyone, as the sun starts to warm my mind turns towards another week on my favourite lake. This will be year #4 for Julia and I but I realized that I still don't actually know what the forage is in the lake. For example I spend a week each year on Rainy lake in NW ontario where shad are the dinner de jour for most of the bigger fish but in Kipawa I've never actually seen a bait ball or anything to tell me what the main forage is.

So for all the experts - what are the various species typically feeding on:

Walleye: I know they love their leaches and I've seen leaches in the water but is there a bait fish they go after as well (in NW ontario perch patterns work well as the perch are a common food).

Lakers: Minnows work so does that mean their eating minnows regularly?

Pike: Well hell, pike will eat anything Smile

Anyhow, I know what usually works for me on the lake but I figured it was time to start the seasons fishing specific threads and this topic seemed as good as any so what does everyone think - what do the predatory fish eat when they aren't eating our offerings?
puckster_guy
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho??? shad, shad and shad, secondary seems perch and baby whitefish. Chrome and white colors are goto in this lake. perch and fire tiger colors are next. If they don't work?? go for a beer lol. just keep experimenting gold lures often work....gl
scuro
Northern Pike
Northern Pike

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of walleye in this lake so baby walleye would have to be a forage fish. I'm not so sure about shad being the rest of the forage. In similar lakes I'd put my money Herring or Cisco.
Jay Thomas
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean:

I was happy to read that you and Julie will be spending another glorious week on Kipawa out of 3 Seasons Camp. Please say hello to Reggie for me. Instead of Kipawa this Jun, I'll be on a 20-29 Jun fly in to Lac Hebert with Air Tamarac (Lac Hebert is approx 245 miles north east of 3 Seasons Camp).

WRT your query, I use leeches and crawlers. I can only report that I have had many caught walleye upchuck minnows at the boat and I have seen many walleye stomachs full of minnows during cleaning. I have just never paid much attention to what species of minnows.

You might be interested in the Lake Kipawa concerted Management Plan - see http://www.obvt.ca/fichiers/documents 1st_progress_report_concerted-management-plan_LakeKipawa.pdf

Here's an excerpt regarding Lake Kipawa fish populations:

2.10.3 Fish Populations

The most interesting species for sports fishing are lake trout, yellow walleye and northern pike. Many pike spawning grounds were identified by the MRN in the shallow waters of the islands. Other species are also present: lake herring, lake whitefish , perch, sucker, common catfish, smallmouth bass and burbot (MRN, personal communication). Lamontagne
mentioned 18 species from 9 families. The latter are important as forage species, but also for fishing to a lesser extent.

I know you and Julia will again enjoy your week in paradise.

Jay
tbayboy
Perch
Perch

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. We're going up a week later this year - dragged our feet booking. I've seen the same thing - minnows and leeches but nothing else. Trolling perch/walleye patterns has worked for me but so has gaudy pink chrome raps -Julia's choices I swear Cool. Fresh walleye from NW ontario last week and souther Ontario this week - looking forward to some Quebecois ones to round out the summer!
RHYBAK

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the forage fish would be:

Log perch
yellow perch
small herring
fallfish
chubs
dace
shiners
never seen a rockbass nor sunfish
small catfish(burbot)
sand herring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kipawa.net Forum Index -> Kipawa Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: